Our Facebook Group Head & Neck Cancer Support


As a head and neck cancer patient you have a number of support resources available to help you. 

You will need to be a New Zealand citizen or a permanent resident to access this support.

Travel and Accommodation Assistance

If you are eligible for travel assistance, you may be able to claim for kilometers traveled by private car, public transport, accommodation, and specialised transport (such as taxis, mobility taxis, or air travel).


E-mail me when people leave their comments –

Authored by Diana Ayling

You need to be a member of Head & Neck Cancer Support Network to add comments!

Join Head & Neck Cancer Support Network


  • Thanks for that advice Gloria. If you need to contact the Ministry of Health about travel assistance you can do so here. Contact
    Call the Sector Operations Contact Centre to find out more:
    0800 855 066 – option 2 – Claims

    Mon, Tue, Thu, Fri: 8am – 5pm
    Wed: 9.30am – 5pm
  • Travel and accomodation entitlement (from personal experiance) is a minefield. Regardless of what you are told by the hospital please make certain that you have also contacted the Ministry of Health (MOH) as it is the MOH who fund the hopsitals who then "dish out " the financial assistance to patient/family. My experience was that Wanganui hospital denied assistance but when I spoke directly to the MOH they said I was entitled, and, even although I had a letter from the MOH instructing the hospital of their error I had to fight them to receive the entitlement. They have now passed us to the ACC to make payments as they refuse to cooperate with us in future. Wanganui travel office is a nightmare to deal with.
This reply was deleted.